Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer in a Bowl

So it has been exactly nine days since my last post, which is quite a few more days than I intended. I'm going to blame the heat and humidity. The mere thought of cooking in this weather is enough to make me want to lie down in the shade somewhere and fall asleep until I'm coaxed into awakeness by a nice cool breeze, or maybe, if I'm lucky, waves crashing on a beach. But as that's not going to happen anytime soon, I'll have to make do with some cool summer treats.

First on the list: strawberry soup. Usually the first reaction people have to strawberry soup is skepticism. The only fruit that frequently makes it into soup form is the tomato. And for the most part that's treated like a vegetable. But I promise that you will not be disappointed by strawberry soup.



I only very vaguely remember the first time I had strawberry soup. I can't quite remember where I was, but we were out for dinner somewhere, I feel like it was at a hotel. It was definitely summer. I wasn't very old, and as such I met the soup with the same skepticism I have encountered in other people. But it dissipated at the first mouthful. My mom found this recipe some time after that and she has been making it ever since.

I feel bad about not having talked much about my mom until now. Especially since she has been the source of so much wonderful food in my life. I'm going to blame the heat again for this one. She tends not to cook as much in the summer, for the same reasons I don't. It's just too hot. So I don't have as many summer recipes of hers to share. But this one needs to be shared. It's the perfect way to use up your fresh strawberries.



This soup is deliciously sweet, with a subtle tangy undertone provided by the orange juice. Its bright freshness is perfect for a light lunch or snack. It truly is summer in a bowl. It dances across your taste buds like a light breeze, carrying with it slightly floral notes and memories of lazy summer afternoons. On top of all that it is blissfully easy to make and, best part of all, no stove or oven required. So even though it will be gone far sooner that you'd like, you can take comfort in the fact that whipping up another batch will be a snap.



Mom's Strawberry Soup

2 pints strawberries
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 water
1/8 tsp ground cardamom

Chop the strawberries and combine them with everything else in a blender. Puree until smooth. Chill in the fridge and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done, the soup is delicious, almost as good as mine. Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete