Monday, July 26, 2010

Carrot Muffins

Success! Ladies and gentlemen the long awaited and previously promised carrot muffin recipe. This was a bit of a journey. It certainly was much more of a journey than I anticipated when I set out to make carrot muffins. To think this all stemmed from the fact that my mom gave me left over carrots before going to Newfoundland. Who knew?

I tend to not be a very patient person when it comes to baking, in that if a recipe fails, I tend to give up entirely on that item, not wanting to go through the process of finding a recipe that actually works. So the fact that I went through four (yes, four) different recipes until I got to this one is a step forward for me. And might I add totally worth it. Because these muffins are sooo good.



I began this recipe with skepticism. Admittedly I was beginning to give up on the carrot muffin. I had to buy more carrots for crying out loud. I went from trying to find a way to use extra carrots to having to buy more carrots. On the bright side I now have a fabulous carrot muffin recipe.

They are deliciously moist in the middle while the top crisps up beautifully around the edges just as a muffin top should. Their subtle sweetness is tempered by the hint of cinnamon and ginger, which with every few bites gives you a kick in the taste buds. And the crunch of pecans beautifully compliments the cakey texture. Just look at that crumb!



And that muffin top! I ask you, have you even seen a more beautiful top on a homemade muffin? I didn't think so. Just wait until you taste it! I'm planning on bringing them to work (as I do with much of my baked goods, otherwise they end up on my waist), but after devouring the first one I seriously questioned this intention. Really I want to keep them all for myself. But in the avoidance of ill-fitting clothes, I'm going to share. I may need to make a new batch tomorrow. These won't hang around long.



Carrot Muffins
Adapted from Anne Lindsay

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups grated carrot
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp honey
2/3 cup chopped pecans

Sift together the dry ingredients (everything up to and including the salt).
Mix together the rest of the ingredients except the pecans.
Add wet to dry and mix until moistened. Beat mixture for about 1 1/2 minutes.
Stir in the pecans.
Fill a dozen muffin cups not quite to the top and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.

To test the doneness of your muffins press you finger gently on the top the middle muffin (it will bake the slowest). When it bounces back, they're done.

Eat all on its own, or with butter. Or really any way you please. Share with friends if generosity strikes. You may not want to, but baked goods are really better shared, aren't they? That's what I'll tell myself. Even as I want to lock myself in a room with them and eat the whole dozen all in one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment